First Trip out for the calling season

bowhunt32

Got a call from a landowner buddy of mine this past week, he asked that I come out and put some pressure on the coyotes that they were getting a bit to close to the house.

Stand 1: After a 15 minue 4 wheeler ride, I was on the first stand. Still not light enough, so I sat the mojo critter out and sat back waiting for shooting light. After a 10 minute wait or so, the orange glow on the eastern horizon turned brighter and brighter and I began to call. After 7 minutes on stand, I see a coyote 200 yards out, staring my way. I center him up and let the first vmax loose. I hear the "whop" and see the coyote circling, biting at his ribs. He then hit the afterburners.

I get down to where he was and find the blood on the ground, and see where the coyote made it into a steep, rocker bottom. I look for a bit, not finding it. Figured I was burning daylight, so moved to the second stand.

Stand 2: I'm set up in a vacant feed lot that boarders a river. I'm on stand for only a few minutes. Three coyotes showed up after two series' of distress on one of my TNYotehntr's open reeds. At the time, I only saw one of the three coyotes. I centered it up at about 80 yards and DRT. I saw the other two, with full afterburners kicked in going away a few hundered yards out.

Stand 3: I'm set up, again in another vacant feedlot about 1/2 mile away. After several series on the hand calls, I eventually kicked on the adult cottontail on the fx3. At about the 10 minute mark, a coyote showed up about 100 yards up the ridge. Again, the coyote was focused on the mojo critter. The allowed me to swing about 90 degrees to my week side and find her in the scope. Again, another DRT. This one the 55g vmax hit the off side shoulder and made a bit of a mess.

Stand 4: I'm calling open sage that has lots of rock outcroppings that has a draw funneling down into a bottom area where the ranchers dead pit is. I'm on stand for 20 minutes throwing everthing I can think of at them. Nothing shows. I hike back to my 4 wheeler. As I set on it and ride into view of where I was setting, I see a coyote trotting. It had came in and was probably 150 yards or so from where I was set up.

Stand 5: Last stand, getting hot. After a bit of a walk getting into this stand, I set up the fx3 and the mojo critter. Feeling a bit out of breath from the hike in, I gave the hand calls a rest and turn up lightning jack. At about the 5 minute mark, the last coyote of the day showed up at 75 yards. Hit this one perfectly behind the shoulder. A couple of spins and that was that.

Also saw a number of coyotes from the 4 wheeler while traveling from stand to stand. Looks like this ranch is going to be good this calling season.

100_2247.jpg

100_2239.jpg

100_2237.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the yotes and want to ask you a question. I ride a 4-wheeler to my hunting places but have COPD and wondering how far you walk after you hide it. Give me an idea since I've just started with the varmint hunting and have not scored on a coyote yet. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: LocountryhunterCongrats on the yotes and want to ask you a question. I ride a 4-wheeler to my hunting places but have COPD and wondering how far you walk after you hide it. Give me an idea since I've just started with the varmint hunting and have not scored on a coyote yet. Thanks in advance.

Really it depends on the terain I'm hunting, but if I had to guess on an average I'd say 200-300 yards.

That a 223 or 22250 Predator? I have the 223 , just got it at the end of calling season last year.
I would Love to be able to hunt ground like that!

Thanks Brad. I was using the Concinna burl/buffalo call. They sure do like it.

Kennewell1, its a 22-250 with weaver classic v 4-16.

Good looking coyotes and even better looking land Dale. Should be a good season for ya!

Keep us posted on it's progress.

Tony

It is awesome country and I'm blessed to have it available to me. The bonus is, it's only 7 miles from my house. I've hunted this ranch for years, and the population this year looks real good. I don't think the neiboring properties are doing as much arial gunning of the coyotes.

Back